Monday, February 6, 2012

Foreign Living


I love being in a foreign place. There is always so much to learn and take in. It's fascinating. A few days ago we walked into to town to pick up dinner. Just the walk along the street was exciting in itself. Traffic is....different here. I found the walk a bit thrilling and a test of trust as drivers zoomed past us making four lanes out of two. Everyday as we drive to various places I observe the cars and pedestrians, what one person here referred to as organized chaos and I know that the though it may appear chaotic, like a pedestrian is in danger of being run over, there actually is a strategy to it where people don't get run over. As I walked along the street I had to remember that the cars zooming by me wouldn't hit me.

So much to be learned here. I haven't seen much below the surface. I'm sure that if I were to actually move here there would be much more underlying that I would have to learn, but even on the surface there is so much to take in. When grocery shopping for produce you must give your produce to a worker who will then weigh and price it. When eating you use your right hand and no silverware. Orange coconuts are for drinking and brown ones are for cooking.

I love this. I love all there is to take in. I love the cultural nuances, but more than that I love the people to get to know and the stories that have shaped them.

No comments:

Post a Comment