Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tonight a very sweet, and very little, old man came to our door with gifts of bread. I was the only one home and felt badly that the only thing I could say to him, was thank you so very much, over and over, and I'm sorry because I couldn't understand him. Ashley had told me before that there was a little man that would sometimes bring things to her and Anna, so at least I knew about him. I've noticed that Japanese people tend to be very sweet and very understanding when I can't speak to or understand them. I've also noticed there are quite a few elderly people in our neighborhood, and at times some of them look very lonely. I hope that I get to a point in my language ability to be able to have little conversations with them, I wish I knew enough Japanese to really sit down with them and get to know them and love on them.

Today was our third day of school. I have 5 students right now and a 6th coming on Monday. I find myself stumbling as I try to figure out what it is to teach such small classes. Some of the things you do in a large class become silly and unnecessary, but that's what I'm used to so this is an adjustment. My students are very sweet though. I have 4 high schoolers and initially found them a little intimidating, but really they are very kind and they really do put effort into class. They are also very quiet. Today was exciting because when I asked a question that was directed at a specific person I they started to speak up more than they had been the last two days. I also have one sixth grader and she is great. She is very willing to ask questions and she puts her own thoughts into the lessons which is cool. Today we talked about elements of plot and I drew Freytag's pyramid and she made a whole little analogy for herself. When the other sixth grader comes I will have to get creative because she is just learning English. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the one girl challenged and provide a lot of support for the other.

Another tidbit about my life right now, I started a dance class at church last night. I've never really been fantastic at dance, I haven't really done it much, but there is something about music and dancing that I'm really drawn to. It's a such an expression of freedom. Anyway I was excited when I heard my roommate mention wanting to try out the dance class at church, and last night we tried it out. The woman who is the main instructor was very kind to us and patient and encouraging. I definitely didn't get all the moves, but it was a lot of fun, and I was surprised at how some of the exercises we did were similar to the ones in the rhythm and movement class I took in College.

It's been a good first week, but I'm already tired, and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Freytag's pyramid? What's that? These kids are lucky to have you, and when you come back maybe you could give me a lesson too :)

    ReplyDelete