Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunburns in October

It was beautiful day yesterday, but a bit warm for October. Starting out in jeans, shoes, and sweatshirt quickly turned into jeans, sandals, and tank top and that was still a bit warm for the blazing sun! Anyway, aside from that and the mild sunburn I got, it was a wonderful day. I got kidnapped for a birthday day yesterday morning by my dear friend Meg and taken to the beach to talk, pray, and be with Jesus. Was an excellent start to the day. We sat together on the beach dreaming of the things God has for us as we reflected on His incredible faithfulness to us thus far. Even in our very friendship, His goodness is so clearly displayed. When I first met her I never really believed we'd stay life-long friends, but God has blessed us as He's changed each one of us so significantly in the last couple years and drawn us together to a relationship that seems most accurately described as a Jonathan and David sort of relationship. I am so grateful, there aren't even words, God has blessed me so much! The day went on with a picnic in the park with some more friends God has blessed me with, a time of blessings, and the night finished off with an awesome event called Rhetoric, where a bunch of spoken word artists share their stuff. Such a good day.

I was thinking though about birthday blessings. It's a tradition among our group of friends to share things we appreciate and then things we pray blessing of over the birthday person. This year I found myself humbled as people shared at birthday blessing and also in cards I was given. It is only by God's grace that people can share the way they see God in me, and the way God has used me in their lives. I am thankful for the blessings spoken over me, but there was also an unspoken blessing behind it all -- the blessing of being used by God. I realized that God has already and continues to bless me in such a huge way as He allows me to speak into people's lives. It is such a great privilege to share God's love and truth and then hear your friends talk about the ways you've impacted them. I am so humbled. I love them all so much and they have so greatly impacted my life that I'm just totally humbled to hear them share things that I've meant to them. Truly, it is only by God's grace. It is only because of what He has put in me. It is only because of the freedom He's given me, the prayers he's answered, the truths He's confirmed to me, that I have anything to offer or any love to give. It's a bit weird to be acknowledged for things that were only gifts given to me. It's nothing of myself. I am so grateful. God is so very very good to me.

Thank you all for such a lovely birthday celebration, and for being such wonderful friends!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time with your good friends. A definite good reason to miss my Harry Potter party :) It was actually a party to celebrate my finishing my masters, and the friends who came surprised me by praying over me at the end. It was time of thanksgiving to the Great Mystery for leading me through this challenging time, and a time of asking for continued guidance as I use what I have learned to further the kingdom. It is so good to have times like these. Glad you had a special time. You indeed are loved friend.

    ReplyDelete