Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bringing back the Macarena

I just got home from the holiday party for my Japanese class at the city hall. The teachers there are incredibly nice, they all volunteer to teach, and we had a great time. When I arrived they had set up the tables so that there was one huge long table we all sat around and there was lots of delicious Japanese food. Sushi, tempura, soba, pocky...yum.

Each week I go to lessons, I meet with the same teacher, Wada Seinsei. We go through a text and every so often she will try to just have a conversation with me, but she does best with the text. She's a very nice lady. There is also another teacher, Fukashima Sensei, who has been Ashley and Drew's teacher for a while. I've had her teach me a couple times and her method is basically talking to you with lots of charades and repetition until you know what she's saying and can answer her question. The two teachers are good friends and a lot of fun. Fukashima Sensei has a lot of energy and doesn't hesitate to give Drew a good shove if he's being ornery or continuing to use bad grammar. She's also been know to jump over or climb under the table to get to the other side.

Now that you have a little picture of our teachers, let me tell you that I did the Macarena with Fukashima Sensei tonight. She is always trying to break me out of my shyness in Japanese language and will enthusiastically try to converse with me. Tonight she was asking me questions about singing and some other things because she saw me with the church at the city festival and I sang with them. I also danced, and I think seeing me do these things let her know that I'm not so shy overall, just with Japanese and new people. Anyway, she wanted me to sing for the group, which I kindly refused. Then someone turned on music. It happened to be the Macarena and Fukashima Sensei started doing the dance in her chair. Then she looked to me and said something, and then looked to Ashley to help me understand what she was saying. Ashley informed me that she really wanted me to get up and dance with her. And so I did. We danced the whole song in front of the class. It is LONG. She enjoyed every minute of it and really got into it, and I enjoyed it as well, mostly because I was dancing the Macarena with my super cool Sensei. A few others joined in and we had quite the fun time.

The night was completed with some BINGO and prizes for all. Oh and I forgot to mention introductions. Haha. I have a new appreciation for when teachers make the new kids stand up and introduce themselves when they don't really know English. I felt like an idiot. All I really said was, "My name is Sara." I didn't know how to say anything interesting and was too flustered to say the phrase for nice to meet you. And so I stood there mortified having said my name and not having a clue what else to say. They are all so kind though and they asked me my hobbies and where I was from. Fukashima Sensei helped me and so did Ashley, so it turned out ok.

It was a fun night. I ended up speaking Spanish more than Japanese, sitting by a Peruvian man who attends our church. Sometimes I talk to his son in Spanish...well I try, and so he knows I know a little and we small talked in Spanish. It's very odd to feel relieved when the Peruvian comes and sits by you and you think, "oh phew, someone I can kind of talk to."

This coming week I'm headed to Hamamatsu. The thought behind this is to have a cultural Christmas and New Years, and to be around people that can't speak English so I can listen and learn more Japanese. I'll be there for about 2 1/2 weeks so hopefully I can pick up on a few things and have some time to study my Japanese.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I totally sympathize with you when it comes to speaking in another language in front of adults. I absolutely feel so stupid when I try and speak (in my case) Spanish with a natural Spanish speaker. I never feel as insecure as I do then. Sorry you were only able to mutter out, "my... name... is Sara" and then promptly sit down. But glad that your friend and your seinsei bailed you out.

    ReplyDelete